Tuesday 1 April 2014

My First Post

So, if my last name is spelled Ringer, why is my blog called “Wringher’s Wargaming Blog”? Well, when I was creating this blog account, the URL ringer.blogspot.ca was already taken, so as a tribute to earlier generations of my family, I choose wringher.blogspot.ca.

The earliest known spelling of my family name is Wrinher carved on a hand held chalkboard from 1842. The Ringers have apparently always used cutting edge technology. Be that as it may, my paternal grandfather spelt his last name Wringher/Wringer, but sometime around World War I he changed it to Ringer. I never talked about it with him and he has been dead for almost 50 years, so it is much too late to ask now. I assume that Grandpa changed the spelling of our family name because, as an American during the Great War of 1914-1918, he wanted our family name to look more English rather than German.
I promise that future photos will be
photos of actual wargaming miniatures.

2 comments:

  1. Which company makes the groundhog miniatures; I'm pretty sure I need to buy a few dire groundhogs or the like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, John, you are very astute. The photo indeed was labelled as being that of a groundhog. However, I used the photo because it looks very much like a prairie dog, which are quite common around Hutchinson, Kansas where I was born and grew up. Groundhogs and prairie dogs are closely related, but an adult groundhog grows to be at least twice as large as the average prairie dog. Perhaps the photo is of a young groundhog and as a result it looks like an adult prairie dog. Be that as it may, both rodents live in burrows. The groundhog tends to be a solitary creature whereas prairie dogs live in large "towns". Prairie dogs are noted for their bark. Hence the name prairie dog.
    Hopefully, a miniature manufacturer will someday produce a dire groundhog as well as a team of prairie dog sappers for siege warfare!

    ReplyDelete